| Notes |
- East Sussex Record Office
Administrative History
Rodney Bassett works for the firm of J Bassett, coachbuilders, wheelwrights and blacksmiths. The business was established by James Bassett, Rodney's grandfather, at Sparrows Green in 1881, and had moved to Durgates by 1887, at first occupying premises nearly opposite the later site; the later building seems to have opened around 1902. James borrowed the money for the premises from his brother, Charles, who worked as a builder and church spire shingler in Wadhurst. James died in 1940; his sons, William (died 1936), Charles (died 1966) and John, known as Jack (died 1969), were also involved in the firm. Rodney was Jack's only son, and carried on the business until his retirement in 1988.
The Bassett family was closely associated with the Wadhurst Fire Brigade from its formation in 1900. William and Charles Bassett were founder members; William later became chief officer. Jack Bassett was also a member. Rodney joined the volunteer brigade in 1925, becoming a uniformed member in 1933. He was a part-time section-leader during the Second World War, with Wadhurst, Mark Cross, Rotherfield and Frant under his control. He was appointed sub-officer when East Sussex Fire Brigade took over in 1948, and became station officer in 1952. He retired from the brigade in February 1968.
All About Wadhurst (date unknown)
Rodney Bassett joined his family's blacksmith business in 1922. He was well known to all local horse owners who brought their animals to be shod at his forge in Durgates. In 1935 he was asked to deal with a pony from a travelling circus and to his chagrin it arrived accompanied by its companion, an elephant. Rodney was, like other members of his family before him, a local retained fireman and later became the Station Officer, the office he held until his retirement.
|